St Paul’s is special place in which to be married. Throughout this web site you will have read about the special churchyard 1spiritual life of the church, and a marriage at St. Paul’s would inevitably suit a traditional wedding. St. Paul’s can offer you:

  • A wedding which is spiritual, in which your marriage is blessed by God;
  • A fine listed building – fitting for one of life’s greatest celebrations;
  • One of the finest church organs in the north of England;
  • A cloister and mature gardens – ideal for photographs;
  • Convenient for reception function venues within and around Halifax.

Even if for some reason it is not possible for you to be married at St. Paul’s, or if you have already married in a civil ceremony here or abroad, you can still have your marriage blessed at St. Paul’s.

Recently, the rules have changed making it easier than ever to marry in church. See below for a summary of the new rules. In addition, the Church of England has created a new web site covering all aspects of getting married in church – click on the banner for more information.

We are here to help, so if you have any questions about getting married in St. Paul’s, just get in touch.


To be able to marry by banns:

(a) At least one of you has to have your normal place of residence in the parish in which you wish to marry for a churchyard 3reasonable period of time (generally considered to be in excess of 6 months for a UK citizen and in excess of 18 months for non-UK nationals); or

(b) At least one of you should have been on the Electoral Roll of the church in which you wish to marry (i.e. you have formally declared your membership of it). To be on the Electoral Roll you need to have been attending the church regularly for at least 6 months. This means that you can be married in the church that you normally attend, even if it is not in the parish in which you live; or

(c) You fall into one of the new qualifying categories as set out below.

The new categories mentioned in (c) are:

(a) In the parish where you were baptised (but not if baptism took place at the same time as confirmation);

(b) If you have been confirmed, in the parish which presented you for confirmation;

(c) In the parish of the area in which you have had at any time your usual place of residence for at least six months;

(d) In the parish where you have, at any time, habitually attended public worship for at least six months;

(e) In the parish in which one of your parents has, during your lifetime, had their usual place of residence for at least six months or habitually been to church there for at least six months;

(f) In the parish in which a parent or grandparent has been married.